Nearly a year ago, we sat down as a Sports Ministry and asked ourselves what truly distinguishes our sports program from others offered throughout our city.And the one thing that truly sets us apart from these other organizations is our Catholic Identity. We are a Catholic faith based organization. As such, we believe that our goal is to help our athletes grow in their faith is paramount in addition to helping them to become better team players, better people and better athletes.
In this belief, we are going to be more deliberate in our approach to helping our athletes confirm their Catholic Identity. Every week, we will be emailing out a virtue of the week to all of our families at St. Gabriel. In this email we will:
- Introduce our Virtue of the Week
- Share a prayer for the week
- Share a Story
- Propose questions of discussion around the story
- Share mentoring tips with our parents, coaches and faculty for discussing with our athletes/students/parish members that weeks virtue
- Ways to live that virtue this week
- A bible passage about our virtue of the week
- Every weekday on our Social Media (Facebook/Twitter) we will share quotes of the day about our virtue. It is our goal to get our families, our teams and our parish further talking about our Catholic Identity and our faith.
As you receive these communications, we ask that you share them with our athletes. Again with anything, this is not a lightning rod. Some may not feel comfortable talking about their faith. We view this as a spark that we envision will some day light a fire for our faith at St. Gabriel.
There are many more facets to Virtue=Strength that we will continue to unveil as we dive further into this as a parish. Stay tuned!