St. Gabriel Natural Playpark Dedicated May 10, 2018
Due to the generous support of our St. Gabriel the Archangel community, business partners and grants, our 1/2 acre Natural Playpark opened on May 10, 2018. St. Gabriel the Archangel Parish, founded in 1953, and prospering in the Fern Creek community for over 60 years, envisioned a new phase in our growth. As the largest parish, school and preschool in the archdiocese you, our parishioners, the parish leadership identified a need to create a natural, green learning and growth area that extends beyond the asphalt, brick and concrete facility you see know. Our parish facilities needs assessment survey, conducted in 2015, identified a playground as the 2nd most important need for our parish to grow.
By 2018, we made that need a reality by creating a natural outdoor playpark, outdoor learning hub, youth activity center and prayer area on the plot behind our facility formerly identified as 8604 and 8606 Augustine Way. Our Natural Playpark provides an area for early childhood development, school extracurricular activity, along with elements of environmentalism and sustainable living. It’s also a place for spiritual healing and reflection. And, it aligns with our goal to become a Green Ribbon School.
There is something for everyone. Thank you for joining us in our vision — brining forth a brighter, greener, more abundant St. Gabriel for all of us, and for our future generations. Thank you for giving of your time, your talent and your treasure to our project.
Due to state licensing requirements, our playpark is not accessible to the public Monday – Friday from 7:30 am to 6 pm during the school year. During that time, our preschool and after school care program utilizes the playpark for daily instruction. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- The playpark is open from dawn to dusk.
- Use of the playpark is at your own risk
- While school/preschool is in session, the playpark becomes an extension of their facilities and have exclusive rights to the area.
- Playpark zones may be reserved for any class or group. Reservations can be made by contacting the playpark scheduler in the preschool office.
- No smoking or alcoholic beverages are allowed
- No pets or comfort animals are allowed. Licensed service animals are allowed, but must remain with their owners at all times.
- Trash cans are placed around the park for your convenience. It is everyone’s responsibility to clean up after themselves. Please help us keep the park clean by picking up any stray garbage.
- Individual zone rules must be followed at all times.
- If there is an incident that needs to be reported, please contact St. Gabriel
- St. Gabriel reserve the rights to ask anyone to leave the playpark for any reason.
Gaga Pit Safety Rules
- Shoes should be worn at all times.
- No one should be sitting on the top ledge of the Gaga Pit at any time.
- Balls are to be hit with open or closed hand only. Balls are to NEVER be thrown.
- Balls are not to be hit towards persons above their waist.
- All players start with one hand touching a wall of the pit.
- The game begins with a referee throwing the ball into the center of the pit.
- When the ball enters the pit, the players scream ‘GA’ for the first two bounces, and ‘GO’ on the third bounce, after which the ball is in action.
- Once the ball is in play, any player can hit the ball with an open or closed hand.
- If a ball touches a player below the knee (even if the player hits himself or herself) he or she is out and leaves the pit. If a player is hit above the knees, the play continues.
- If a ball is caught on a fly, the player who hit the ball is out.
- Using the walls of the octagon to aid in jumping is legal as long as the player does not permanently sit on the ledge of the octagon.
- Players cannot hold the ball.
- If needed, a second ball can be thrown in the pit to expedite the end of the game. The last player standing is the winner of that round.
Watch The Playpark Evolve…..Time Lapse Video of the Natural Playpark Construction