Our primary orientation toward the disposition of worldly goods is that commandment enjoining us to love our neighbors as ourselves. We share the understanding that we are called to exercise the preferential option for the poor and needy as a primary compulsion in our life of discipleship.
He who has two coats, let him share with him who as none and he who has food must do likewise. but give for alms those things which are within; and behold, everything is clean for you. If a brother or sister is ill-clad and in lack of daily food, and one of you says to them,”go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what does it profit?
There are multiple times throughout the year when second or special collections for various organizations are taken. We announce each one is as it occurs in our weekly bulletin. A collection basket will be passed around during Mass for second collections that are considered freewill offerings of the faithful. Other special collections are based upon a percentage of the total collection for the weekend, or are the only collection at the liturgy for this cause.
- Catholic World Missions May 31, 2020
- Crusade for Children June 7, 2020
- Peter’s Pence August 16, 2020
- Catholic Higher Education September 20, 2020
- Campaign for Human Development November 22, 2020
- Retired Religious December 13, 2020
- Archdiocesan Charities December 27, 2020
- Opportunities for Life January 17, 2021
- Black and Indian Missions February 21, 2021
- Catholic Relief Services March 14, 2021
- Rice Bowl April 1, 2021
- Holy Land April 2, 2021
- Collection for the Military Services held every three years – the next date will be November 6, 2022.